Tuesday, December 07, 2004

God Bless You

What’s with the "God Bless You" when someone sneezes? You do realize that's what you're supposed to say, right? What is so traumatic about a sneeze that we’re compelled to bless complete strangers on behalf of the all mighty? I just don’t get it. And why the sneeze? What’s so special about a sneeze anyway? Someone can yawn and we don’t say a thing. A hiccup? Nothing. A cough? Nope. Heck, someone sitting right next to us could practically be chocking to death and we wouldn’t even turn to look. But the person on the other side sneezes and we’re all singing psalms for them. Beats me.

3 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger David Cowan said...

It is particularly challenging for us atheists. Do I thank the person for blessing me? If not I'm an asshole, right?

And if someone else sneezes, am I suddenly supposed to embrace faith and evoke His Mighty Blessings?

"Feel Better" seems more appropriate, don't you think?

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger David Cowan said...

It is particularly challenging for us atheists. Do I thank the person for blessing me? If not I'm an asshole, right?

And if someone else sneezes, am I suddenly supposed to embrace faith and evoke His Mighty Blessings?

"Feel Better" seems more appropriate, don't you think?

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the hold days sneezing was a symptom of a few deadly diseases and when someone snezzed it could mean they had the virus and would soon die.

Hence this God bless" that survied 'till today

 

Post a Comment

<< Home