Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Jan 21st New Years

While most of you are still recovering from your New Year's Eve festivities, my new years doesn't actually begin for another 3 weeks. Strange? Bizarre? Perhaps. But here's why. What's the #1 New Year's resolution? Losing weight, right? Same here. Same for me last year, and the year before, and the year before, etc. So how do I drop the extra 5 lbs in a hurry? I hit the gym. Unfortunately, so does eveyone else. In fact, for the first 3 weeks of the year, when I say "everyone else", I mean just that. If history is any indicator, the gym population will look something like this:

1st week in Jan: 10x the avg number of people working out
2nd week in Jan: 5x the avg number of people working out
3rd week in Jan: 2x the avg number of people working out
4th week in Jan: Back to normal

So I simply kick back, continue gorging on empty calories even when I'm not hungry, and wait patiently for the 4th week of Jan to roll around.

And by the way, in case you're wondering how to spot the newbies those first few weeks of the year, it's easy. Look for people wearing fresh, bright, matching workout clothes that have never been washed. Look for people spending their first 5 minutes on any piece of equipment trying to figure out how the heck to use that piece of equipment (add 10 minutes for anything with digital display outputs). And of course don't forget my favorite... the people spending most of their time chatting away on their cell phones.

So there you have it. So Happy New Years to all of you. But please, I beg of you, don't reciprocate for another 3 weeks.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Tarun Theogaraj said...

I would never have noticed it had I not read your post! Three people in my gym had on new, matching tracksuits. And yes, there were the obvious newbies trying out the equipment every which way while the rest of us just looked on in wonder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home